Explanation of possible side effects of Wrinkle Reduction Treatment
The side effects detailed below are not necessarily a list of what will happen to you. Different people react to the treatment in different ways. You may experience all or none of these effects. However, all of the effects listed are temporary and will diminish with time.
Treatment involves injecting a very small amount of the substance into the muscles of the face, which relaxes these muscles so they don’t contract and therefore don’t crease the skin (wrinkle).
- As the treatment involves injections, you may experience some localised bruising, slight swelling or redness around the treated area and slight tenderness around the injection points. This will normally disappear within a few hours.
- The effect of the treatment will not be apparent for approximately 4-5 days. It will be at its most effective after about 2-3 weeks.
- A very small number of patients may experience eyelid ptosis (drooping) or a feeling of heaviness over the eyebrows. This can last for a few weeks, but the risk of this can be drastically reduced by following the aftercare instructions.
- The treated area may feel different e.g. if your forehead has been treated, you will find it difficult to frown (which is the desired effect of the treatment). Some lip treatments may make the lips feel different, so sealing lips around a straw or sipping from a glass may take some practice.
- Some patients experience headaches, nausea and flu-like symptoms, but these disappear within a few days.
- Different brands of products come from different sources – some may be from animal sources. If you have particular religious beliefs or dietary restrictions, discuss which brand of material will be best for you with your practitioner.
- Allergy to the product is extremely rare. In some cases patients become resistant to the material which means its effects are reduced. Alternatives are available in these cases.
- You should not have treatment if you are pregnant, breast-feeding, have a neurological disease or have a known hypersensitivity.
Aftercare after Wrinkle Reduction Treatment
- Refrain from touching the treated area for 3-4 hours. After this time, when you wash the area, do so gently and pat it dry very softly with a soft towel. Do not rub the treated area for 48 hours.
- Remain upright for 4 hours and avoid excessive bending during this time.
- Avoid sleeping on your face for the first night.
- Do exercise the treated muscles by tensing them and relaxing them for the first hour after treatment as this helps the product get absorbed quicker into the muscles.
- When applying make-up or moisturiser, use dabbing motions instead of rubbing or spreading for the first day.
- Do not fly within the first 24 hours.
- Treatment takes from 2 to 14 days to become effective. This is dependant on the strength of the muscles injected and the individual response.
- Do not have any facial treatments that may promote ‘tracking’ of the treatment to neighbouring areas, for 7 days.
- Please return in 2-3 weeks for the follow up appointment.
- If the degree of muscle relaxation is not as you would wish, please contact your practitioner.
- Finally, treatment is temporary and to maintain the effects, treatment is recommended every 3-4 months.
If you have any questions after your treatment we can be contacted on 01384 394880
AVAILABLE TO BUY AT THE SURGERY
Teoxane cosmeceuticals skincare line is perfectly adapted for and complementary to aesthetics procedures.